Manor CV Brushing Primer Undercoat Custom Mixed Colours
An anticorrosive brushing primer / undercoat with excellent flow and gloss hold out. Available in a wide
range of colours with high opacity, to ensure that most colours cover with one coat of undercoat and
one coat of topcoat. The product can also be sprayed if required, particularly if there is requirement for
a low odour primer/undercoat.
VEHICLE REFINISH and the ORIGINAL COATING of VEHICLES or TRAILERS
Typical uses are for brushing buses, coaches or Historic Vehicles.
Can also be used on Narrow Boats (above the water line), Traction Engines and Agricultural Equipment.
Occasionally (mainly if items cannot be sprayed) can be used as a refurbishment or maintenance primer/undercoat for items such as :
- Inside buildings: Machinery, fixed plant, moveable equipment, fork lift trucks, trolleys, frames, guards etc.
- Outside buildings: Exterior surfaces of tanks, pipework and process plant, towers, bridges or any structure which is not part of a building
See also the Manor supplementary information sheet 'Guide to the UK VOC legislation' to understand how the VOC content of a coating determines its suitability for use in any application.
Suitable substrates and preparation
- Untreated steel; for best results blast clean prior to painting to SA 2 1/2, otherwise manually abrade using powered hand tools and abrasives to ST2.
- Previously painted steel; remove rust back to sound metal. Remove loose or flaky paint. Bring forward by patch priming. Sound previously painted surfaces should be lightly abraded prior to application in order to promote adhesion. Remove dust. Remove oil or grease with Panel Cleaner. If using a waterborne degreaser remove fully. Test a small area prior to painting.
- Aluminium and galvanised steel; abrade and pre-treat with Manor Wash Primer, Manor Chromate Free Wash Primer or Manor 1 Pack Etch Primer in accordance with data sheets for these products.
- Other substrates; seek advice from Manor Coating Systems Technical Department
Colour: Wide range of colours available from RAL, BS, NCS colour ranges. Please enter your colour reference in box provided or contact us for more information.
- Composition: Based on a polyurethane modified alkyd resin pigmented with suitably selected pigments and zinc phosphate anticorrosive pigment.
- Volume Solids: 48-50%
- Weight Solids: 60-67%
- VOC conten:t 410-420 gm/litre
- Typical film thickness: 35 microns dry at 71 microns wet
- Theoretical coverage: 14 sq. Metres / litre at 35 microns dry film thickness
- Dry heat resistance: 80C
- Flash Point: HIGH FLASH in the range 32-55C (flammable)
Preferably bring paint to 15-25C and stir well before use
- Airless spray: cold - not recommended / heated - not recommended
- Conventional spray: Add 10-15% Manor Low Odour White Spirit
- Brush Roller: When coating large areas up to 5% Manor Low Odour White Spirit can be added to ease application and to maintain a wet edge.
- Thinner: Manor Low Odour White Spirit
- Film thickness per coat
Dry : Minimum 25 microns / Maximum 50 microns
Wet: Minimum 51 microns / Maximum 102 microns
Drying and recoating
Approximate drying times at 35 microns d.f.t.
The air temperature should be at least 5C with a surface temperature 3C above the dew point and the relative humidity below 90%. The drying times will be significantly extended in cold, damp conditions.
Overcoating / repainting
CV Brushing Primer Undercoat is best over coated with 1 Pack Polyurethane to give optimum flow properties. Manor Synthetic Enamel may also be used. When over-coating takes place after 3 days, lightly abrade to improve intercoat adhesion.
Shelf life: Store in cool, dry conditions, typically 5-25C. After a period of storage the product should be thoroughly stirred. Usable life is 2 years from date of manufacture in unopened containers.